Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Goodbye, little guy.


Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.

C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves





When I married my love last February I knew I was also going to be adopting a little fuzz head.
























Little did I know I would enjoy him so much.











Romeo became my humble assistant and cuddled near the heat from my computer everyday as I worked.









For fun we'd take a break and play sock war! (which he'd have to win)











We'd also go outside for some fresh air and mark the flowers by the porch.





Unfortunately, last week Romeo was killed by a stray bulldog. A dog we have been around before but never knew he'd do such a thing. After the attack there was nothing we could do for him as he had lost too much blood and the wounds were deep. The worst thing was, as the 70 lb. bulldog violently slung around the 5 lb. yorkie my wife and next door neighbor were right there to see the whole thing! It was rough seeing my wife hold the little companion she's had since high school slowly die in her arms. (drama not intended)

So it's been tough for us but I know that God uses events like this to reshape and reprioritize our lives. By this event I'm again reminded of how short life actually is and the reminder that death, even the death of little
dogs, is inevitable.

The question we should all ask is, Where are we going after we die?
If you haven't given it much thought please click here.

*******
Sure am gonna miss you little guy.

24 Comments:

Blogger Dik Pose said...

Sorry to hear this Heath... But you are right, all relationships we have, all the life and death we experience has a purpose... Still, it is hard to lose those close to us, human or hound...

2:56 AM  
Blogger Jeremiah Alcorn said...

Hey Man. Sorry again to hear about poor lil' Romeo. From the pictures, he seemed like such a wonderful assistant, wether it be giving approval for sketches, or marking the front flowers. But the Lord's purposes are greater than our own and I'm sure the pain will pass with time. I'll keep you and Tiffany in my prayers. We'll talk soon man. Later tater!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Chris_Garrison said...

You both have my deepest condolences. I wish I'd gotten to meet Romeo. What a world.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Condolences Heath, that's aweful what happened to Romeo!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Tom Bancroft said...

Sorry to hear it Heath! Sounds like a great dog. My prayers are with you and your wife.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Scott Tolleson said...

Ah man, what can one say? Sorry to hear about the little guy. Especially with the little ones they can be so vulnerable. At least while he was here he filled your heart with joy.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Sorry 'bout that, Heath. God's best to you and yours.
~R

8:38 PM  
Blogger Rånny said...

ouh no! I am so sorry to hear about this tragic news, Heath. I would like to extend my condolences to you and your family.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooh soo sorry for your lost. It's a cute dog, deepest condolences to you and your family.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Rob Corley said...

Heath;
Wow! What a sad story! I am very sorry to hear about the loss of Romeo. I think the neighborhood should be minus one bulldog! We have 2 Yorkies in our family and I can say that they are very good dogs and easy to love. God bless both you and your wife as you deal with your loss.
Rob

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO very sorry that something this horrible happened to the two of you. It breaks my heart, and nothing I can say to you can make the hurt go away. Our little puppies are like family to us, like our little children. I'm SO sorry that Tiffany had to see that. My prayers are with you!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Martin Hsu said...

oh man... I'm so sorry to hear that Heath... :( hope you guys are doing alright....

10:51 PM  
Blogger Shawn Escott said...

Sorry to hear about the little guy. He sure was cute and sounds like a lot of fun. My prayers are with you.

3:47 PM  
Blogger justinpatrickparpan said...

I bet he was a fine dog sir. A real king.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Hans said...

That's about one of the saddest things I've heard in awhile! I'm really sorry to hear that. Stupid Bulldog needs to be locked up forever!!!

1:13 PM  
Blogger SteveLambe said...

Wow..that's the saddest story ever, Heath. I swear that losing a pet can be almost as hard as losing a family member. My condolences on you and your wife's loss.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask your buddy Tom Bancroft about the time he had two of his dogs put down (two dogs that he had for several years) simply because he didn't want them anymore.
Sad but all too true.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah Dicken said...

aw man... I'm so very sorry, Heath. Romeo was such a cute little guy. :( I hope that you are right, and there is a heaven where you will see him again one day. *hugs*

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my...This made my heart just go thud! I should have not read the details as now I'm upset. I'm so sorry for you, your wife, and the little Romeo Guy. Awful.

Love your work, btw.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Stewart Kenneth Moore (Booda) said...

I'm sorry to hear this, that must have been terrible for your wife, I hope somebody caught the bulldog.
~ Booda

4:49 PM  
Blogger DonKelly said...

Maybe dogs don't have souls..and apparently walking fish has no tact.

The anonimity of the web can make some folks pretty callous.

God created animals as part of his blessed creation.. we have no reason to beleive that they won't be part of his kingdom.

All the best to you Heath.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your dog man, I hope you had tons of fun with it while he was alive. However I'm afraid that god didn't have anything to do with it. He's not in heaven, we're not going to heaven either. We're just going to stop being. I know it's impossible to understand.

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today I made the "appt.", Jake's final visit to the Vet. Jake has been my best buddy through many hard times - for little dogs , they sure have big hearts! My prayers to you. God Bless.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Heath said...

Anonymous #1, Thanks for visiting. I'm afraid you've been lied to. You need to exmaine the boths of the coin before making such claims. www.discovery.org is a great place to start.

Please leave your names next time guys.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home